My boyfriend took this picture at a job site several months ago. I really know nothing about the history of the jeep. I don't know who owns it, if the owner designed it, or if he bought this way. But it was the first thing that jumped into my mind when I read the assignment for this week. As Don Norman points out, the design of a car can evoke emotion. He discusses a NYT review in which the reviewer was willing to overlook the Mini Cooper's faults because he so enjoyed the design. I believe the design of this car would make driving more enjoyable and I'm sure more people would want to drive this car over just a regular, undecorated jeep. Even people that see this car on the road will most likely smile or laugh or point it out to someone. My boyfriend immediately told me about it, but I couldn't really understand it until I saw a picture of it. I'm sure the jeep runs no better because it is so ornate (the decorative nature of it, I suppose, may even cause problems in it's function), but because someone has obviously spent so much time on the design, it takes on greater meaning and makes it enjoyable to view.
Here's a close-up picture so that you can see the detail:


No comments:
Post a Comment