When thinking about this assignment, I had to include a discussion of a set of dishes that I received from my sister as a Christmas gift. As you can see in the picture I've provided, the plates are beautifully painted. They are appealing simply on a visceral level. However, when you turn the plate over, you see a somewhat disconcerting message: "NOT FOR FOOD USE, MAY POISON FOOD, FOR DECORATIVE PURPOSES ONLY." Of course I didn't even notice this until my boyfriend came over for dinner one night and I decided it would be nice to use my new plates, only to realize that I wasn't supposed to serve food on them. This is where the behavioral level comes into play. As Don Norman says "behavioral design has to do with the pleasure and effectiveness of use." Well, for eating purposes (the most obvious use of a set of plates), they are not very useful. However, that night my boyfriend told me he didn't think there was any way that my plates could poison us and insisted that we use them anyway. I will admit that I was hesistant and a bit nervous that we would, in fact, be poisoned! So the "pleasure of use" is also not very evident. But if I decide to use these plates for the "decorative purposes" that they were apparently designed for, the "pleasure and effectiveness of use" would be quite evident.
I think these plates also work on the reflective level of design because I am able to tell a story about them. Norman describes the reflective level as having to do with the "rationalization and intellectualization of a product." Of course I know that dishes are often used as decorative items, but it seems odd that the bowls that came with this set do not have the same "not for food use" warning. My brain processes this information and it causes a certain unpleasant reaction. And one other puzzling note: notice that the back of the plate also says "mircowave and dishwasher safe." Why, exactly would you microwave a plate that is for "decorative purposes only"?
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Not For Food Use: An Example of Emotional Design
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
this all sounds like a good murder mystery plot
Wonderful analysis.
The best poisonous plate story that I know is about the reddish-orange Fiesta ware produced in the 1930-40s. From Wikipedia:
"Red Fiesta (and indeed the red glazes produced by all US potteries of the era) is known for having a detectable amount of uranium oxide in its glaze to produce the bright orange-red color. During WWII the government took control of uranium. Homer Laughlin and the other potteries had to discontinue the use of uranium-containing glazes. Fiesta red was discontinued before 1944, because all uranium was controlled by the US government while developing the Manhattan Project. "
At one of the Smithsonians in DC, you can hold a geiger counter up to the bowl and hear it tick.
Post a Comment